Are you unable to find a simple and straightforward process of filing a DBA in Wisconsin? If yes, read this article. This guide will help take away any unnecessary steps and get started quickly. So, let’s file a DBA in Wisconsin today.
Important! Please keep in mind that DBA is not a business structure, so it won’t protect you from liabilities, lawsuits, or any other unforeseen situations. DBA stands for Doing Business As. – often precedes the name under which a business operates, which is not the legal name of the business.
To register or renew the trademark, trade name, or service mark for your company in Wisconsin you need to file the application to the Secretary of State. Here is what you need to do:
Wisconsin Business Entity Search
Your company’s trade name should be unique and have not been acquired by any other entity in Wisconsin. Moreover, this name must also meet the business name requirements of Wisconsin.
First, you have to search the Department of Financial Institution’s website for the DBA, Business, & Fictitious names. Check the portal thoroughly to know whether the name that you wish to have for your business has already been taken by someone or not. Make sure, this name isn’t already in use.
Note: You can also find a complete guide on business name search here.
Once you are done searching, the next step is to review the naming requirements of the state of Wisconsin. In general, your DBA should not include:
- LLC, Incorporated, Corp, or any business entity suffix unless the business is actually an LLC, corporation.
- Any word or phrase that implies that yur business in established for unlawful purpose.
- Words that give the impression the company is engaged in the business of professional engineering, architecture, or designing without the proper approval.
- The word “cooperative” unless the entity is an approved cooperative association.
- The word “insurance” unless the name clearly states that the company is not an insurance company.
Register Your Wisconsin DBA ($15)
You can file a Wisconsin DBA online with the Department of Financial Institutions. You need to create a free account for filing DBA WI online. To know how to complete the form read the instructions here.
The following information must include in the Wisconsin trade name form:
- Your business name and adress
- Owners/partners of the business and addresses
- Entity type (eg; LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation)
- Trade name’s description
Renew, Change or Withdraw Your Wisconsin DBA
Renew Your Fictitious Name With the State
After every ten years, the Certificate of Wisconsin Assumed Business Name expires. So for the renewal of DBA in Wisconsin process file online.
Change Your Fictitious Name ($20)
If you wish to make changes in your Wisconsin assumed business name, you can do it by filling the respective DBA WI amendment Online.
Withdraw Your Fictitious Name ($20)
You can cancel your Wisconsin assumed business name by filling the Cancellation or withdrawal Certificate of the DBA online.