Are you wondering how to file a DBA in Vermont? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back. This guide will help take away any unnecessary steps and get started quickly. Read on 3 step DBA VT guide.
Important! Please keep in mind that DBA is not a business structure, so it won’t protect you from liabilities, lawsuits, or any other unforeseen situations. DBA stands for Doing Business As. – often precedes the name under which a business operates, which is not the legal name of the business.
To register or renew the trademark, trade name, or service mark for your company in Vermont you need to file the application to the Secretary of State. Here is what you need to do:
Vermont Business Entity Search
Your company’s trade name should be unique and have not been acquired by any other entity in Vermont. Moreover, this name must also meet the business name requirements of Vermont.
First, you have to search the Vermont Corporation Division’s Business Nmae Search portal for the DBA, Business, & Fictitious names. Check the portal thoroughly to know whether the name that you wish to have for your business has already been taken by someone or not. Make sure, this name isn’t already in use.
Note: You can also find a complete guide on business name search here.
Once you are done searching, the next step is to review the naming requirements of the state of Vermont. In general, your DBA should not include:
- Words such assuch as LLC, Incorporated, Corp, or any other business entity suffix unless the business is actually an LLC, corporation, etc.
- Terms used for financial institutions such as “banker”, “bank,” “banco,” “banc,” ‘banque,” “savings and loan association,” “savings bank,” ”trust company,” “credit union” or related words.
- Terms or phrases falsely implying governmental affiliation.
- Phrases or words to denigrate or defame people or groups based on religion, race, place of birth, national origin, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, sex, gender identity, age, or disability.
- Phrases or words that depict or describe excretory or sexual organs or the activities or products thereof.
- Phrases or words that imply sexual conduct or appeal to the prurient interest or describe in terms patently offensive or threatening.
- The word “cooperative” or its abbreviation unless it is organized as a cooperative association or the corporation is a worker cooperative corporation.
Register Your Vermont DBA ($50)
DBA Filing Address:
Vermont Secretary of State
128 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05633-1104
The following information must include in the Vermont trade name form:
- Your business name and adress
- Owners/partners of the business and addresses
- Entity type (eg; LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation)
- Trade name’s description
Renew, Change or Withdraw Your Vermont DBA
Renew Your Fictitious Name With the State ($40)
After every five years, the Certificate of Vermont Assumed Business Name expires. So for the renewal of DBA in Vermont process file online.
Change Your Fictitious Name ($20)
If you wish to make changes in your Vermont assumed business name, you can do it by filling the respective DBA amendment form online. If you change the name of your registered DBA, you need to file for the new one.
Withdraw Your Fictitious Name ($20)
Filing a Vermont fictitious business name, aka a Vermont DBA (doing business as), is an easy and straightforward process. If you want to save time and effort, LLC filing companies like LegalZoom and ZenBusiness can help you get that at a fraction of the cost.
However, if you are interested in DIY, you just need to follow the above-mentioned step-by-step guide or see how to Get a DBA in any of the 50 states.
Aisha Noreen is a Marketing strategist and content planner with more than 9 years of experience in the industry. With the wisdom of an old soul, she always seeks innovation and mind-blowing ROI techniques. Her unique approach helped many small businesses thrive and she can surprise you in many ways as well. Believe it or not, her energy, passion, and creativity are contagious enough to transform your business and take it to another level.