Get Alaska Certificate of Good Standing (Compliance or Status)

Please note: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through such a link we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

An Alaska certificate of good standing (AL) is a legal document that verifies that your limited liability company (LLC) or corporation was correctly formed and is in good standing with the state.

This Certificate of Good Standing Alaska guide will explain how to get a certificate of good standing in Alaska and the requirements to get a good standing certificate.

What is a Certificate of Good Standing? 

The certificate- of good standing, aka “certificate of existence,” confirms that a company is up-to-date with its filings and has no legal issues preventing it from conducting business. 

This state document verifies that you have legally formed your LLC or corporation and that your company is properly maintained.

Requirements for Getting an Alaska Certificate of Good Standing

In Alaska, the certificate of good standing is known as a certificate of compliance issued by the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development. To qualify for an Alaska certificate of compliance, make sure your corporation or LLC is up-to-date with the following state compliance requirements.

First Requirement

Obtain Business Licenses & Permits

Follow federal, state, and local licensing guidelines to operate your business in Alaska in a state-compliant manner. Some examples include health permits, building permits, medical and other professional licenses, etc.

To find more about state licensing requirements, visit the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development website.

Second Requirement

Pay State Taxes

Different businesses are subjected to different taxes such as Alaska Unemployment Insurance (UI) tax, etc. Depending on your business activity, you must register for various forms of Alaska state tax. 

Note: There is no state withholding tax or sales tax in Alaska.

First Requirement

Timely Submit Annual Reports

All Alaska corporations and LLCs must file an annual report that summarizes their business’s finances over the past year. 

The Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development requires your business to submit an annual report. The Alaska LLC biennial report filing fee is $100 and is due every two years. 

How Do I Get a Certificate of Good Standing in Alaska?

Once your business is up-to-date with all filings and compliance requirements, you can order your certificate of Good Standing from the state authority.

The Alaska certificate of compliance is requested from the Alaska Department of Revenue. To order your certificate of compliance online from the Alaska Department of Revenue, click the following link.

You can also apply via fax or mail by downloading the Alaska certificate of compliance using the following link:

Mailing Address

State of Alaska
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
Corporations Section
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806

Fax: (907) 465-2974

The filing Cost for the Alaska Certificate of Compliance is $10.

Why Do I Need a Certificate of Good Standing in Alaska?

While you don’t necessarily need a certificate of compliance to run your LLC or corporation in Alaska, there are several instances where you may need to get one. These include:

  • Opening a business bank account
  • Applying for a business loan or line of credit from a bank
  • Purchasing business insurance
  • Trying to lease commercial space
  • Soliciting funds from potential investors
  • You want to register your LLC or other business in another state as a foreign or out-of-state LLC
  • You want to Transfer or domesticate your business to another state
  • You’re selling your business, and the buyer wants proof that the company is in good legal standing
  • You are contracting with another company
  • You need to show compliance with government regulations in any other situation

FAQs on Alaska Certificate of Good Standing

Was This Article Helpful?