Change Registered Agent in Illinois for Free

Please note: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through such a link we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

If you have decided to change your existing registered agent in Illinois for any reason, you need to file the Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office with the Illinois Secretary of State.

Well, paperwork is not always scary. This article will help you correctly change your registered agent without any trouble.

What is a Registered Agent?

A registered agent is a person or entity designated by your business to receive service of process, state correspondence, and receiving or sending important business mails. Depending on the state, a registered agent may also be known as:

  • Statutory agent, 
  • Resident agent, or
  • Service of process agent.

How to Change Registered Agent in Illinois

For an LLC in Illinois, regardless of whether you choose the DIY method or hire a company, you need to file the certificate of change of registered agent. To change your registered agent mentioned in your Article of Organization, you file change of registered agent or registered office form with the secretary of state. 

However, before you file your application to change your registered agent in Illinois, you must be sure that your registered agent is:

  • At least 18 years of age or older.
  • Your registered agent should be a resident of the state of Illinois
  • A registered agent must be present in the office during regular business hours.
  • Your designated registered agent is happily willing to be nominated as your registered agent.
  • Since P.O. mailbox can’t be used in most states, a registered agent must have a physical address to deliver documents. 
  • Your registered agent must be comfortable with their address going to be public in the state record.
Method #1

Hire a Company to Change Registered Agent in Illinois

Among hundreds of companies providing registered agent services for your LLC in Illinois across all states, we bring the top 2 registered agent services for you here i.e. ZenBusiness and Northwest Registered Agent, which are far better alternatives of LegalZoom.

Registered Agent Services Key Features Value Learn More
Top pick
The Best Overall Formation Service
  • Free registered agent service for a Year with LLC service.
  • Anytime access to online documents.
  • Expert support 24/7.
4.9/5 Stars
MoneyAisle’s Rating ?
Track Record Customer Support Customer Reviews Affordability Ease of Use Registered Agent
The Top-Notch Customer Care
  • Security and data privacy assurance.
  • Locally scan your documents.
  • Free registered agent with LLC service annually.
4.5/5 Stars
MoneyAisle’s Rating ?
Track Record Customer Support Customer Reviews Affordability Ease of Use Registered Agent

Method #2

Change Registered Agent DIY in Illinois

You can change your registered agent or the address of the registered office by filing the Statement of Change with the Illinois Secretary of State. You can file the Statement of Change online or through the mail.

Changing a Registered Agent or Registered Office Online

You can change the registered agent or registered office online by selecting your entity type:

Once you open the respective webpage, use the following the steps given below:

  1. Search for your business by entering your company registereation number at the Illinois Secretary of State’s website.
  2. Complete the form with correct information, including payment information.
  3. submit the form after review.

 Important Note: The statement of change must be signed by a duly authorized officer and Signatures must be in black ink.

Changing a Registered Agent or Registered Office via Mail 

If filing a change of registered agent entity form by mail is more convenient, you first need to download the form from the Illinois Secretary of State website. Select the respective form depending on your entity type:

Fill the form out with your correct information on your computer. You are required to print two copies of this form and mail both copies along with the filing fee to the address given below:

For Corporations and Nonprofits
Secretary of State
Department of Business Services
501 S. Second St., Room 350
Springfield, IL 62756

For LPs
Secretary of State
Department of Business Services
Limited Liability Division
501 S. Second St., Room 357
Springfield, IL 62756

For LLCs
Secretary of State
Department of Business Services
Limited Liability Division
501 S. Second St., Room 351
Springfield, IL 62756

Change of Registered Agent Fee in Illinois

The state of Illinois charges you different fees depending on your entity type to process your change of registered agent document. Here is the list of fees:

  • Nonprofits:$5
  • Corporations: $25
  • LLCs: $25
  • LPs: $50

You can pay this fee by credit card or check. Read the payment page of the change form for the corporation or LLC for complete instructions.

Expedite Your Change of Registered Agent Order

If you want the Illinois Secretary of State to expedite the Change of Registered Agent form processing, you need to select the expedite service on the form. The expediting fee for nonprofits is $25 and $50 for all other business entities.

Information Needed to Complete Change of Registered Agent Form

To change your Illinois registered agent, you will need to type in the following information on the change of registered agent or registered office by entity type form:

  • Your Illinois entity I.D. number,
  • The name of your business entity,
  • The name of your current registered agent,
  • The name of your new registered agent,
  • The address of your new registered agent,
  • Signature of the authorized person by your business,
  • Signature of your new registered agent consenting to their appointment,
  • Credit card information to pay the filing fee if filing online,
  • If filing through the mail, tick the box if paying the fee through check or fill the information of charge fees to a prepaid account.

Why Change Registered Agent in Illinois?

In business, nothing is permanent, nor does everything hold for forever. With changing situations and circumstances, you update and revise your decisions. The same goes with the registered agent. 

For instance, you may have appointed your attorney or CPA as your registered agent. Now you wish to change your attorney or CPA, so you would also want to change the registered agent. Some of the common reasons to change your registered agent could be:

  • Your designated registered agent wants to retire.
  • Your current registered agent moves to another state.
  • Your present registered agent is too busy to take responsibility for your business correspondence anymore.
  • You are not satisfied with the existing registered agent. 
  • You have nominated yourself as your registered agent but cannot handle this responsibility due to your busy schedule
  • Your designated registered is charging a lot, and you want to hire cheaper registered agent services

FAQs on Changing Registered Agent in Illinois

Can I be My Own Registered Agent in Illinois?

All business owners in Illinois can be their own registered agents. So, whether you are running an LLC or operating your business as a corporation, you can designate yourself to accept service of process and official notices for your business. 

Can I switch Registered Agents?

You can switch registered agents at any time. When you are ready to make a change, cancel the previous registered agent service and hire a new one. Then file the appropriate paperwork (change of registered agent form) with your state. However, most states require a fee to process your change of registered agent document.

Can I Get Free Registered Agent Services?

Yes, many reputable LLC services such as ZenBusiness, IncFile, etc provide 1-year free registered agent services after incorporating your business with them. For example, ZenBusiness in its basic package of $39 files your article of organization and provides a free registered agent for one year. Whereas as a standalone service, registered agent service cost you $99.

How do I change my registered agent in Illinois?

File a Change of Registered Agent form with the Illinois Secretary of State, and you’ll be able to change your registered agent. You just need to fill in the correct information, including the name of the previous registered agent, the name and address of the new registered agent, your business name and I.D. number, etc.

Do you have to have a registered agent for an LLC in Illinois?

Registered agents are a must for any formal business in Illinois. So whether you have an LLC, LLP, or corporation, you need to designate a registered agent for state correspondence. If you’re not sure what a registered agent’s role is and do you need one, read our article on What is a Registered Agent? Be Your Own or Hire a Service to help your company operate smoothly.

What is the responsibility of a registered agent?

Registered agents ensure that critical legal and other documents, such as subpoenas or regulatory notices, are delivered to you without any delay. They help your business remain compliant and up-to-date by delivering all necessary paperwork. They are responsible for accepting official correspondence on behalf of the company, such as tax forms, legal notices, and business mails.

Was This Article Helpful?