Are you looking for someone else to pass on your registered agent responsibilities? If yes, then changing the current registered agent in Arizona is not a very complicated process. However, you need to file some paperwork to change your registered agent.
Well, paperwork is not always scary. This article will help you correctly change your registered agent without any trouble.
What is a Registered Agent?
A registered agent is a person or entity designated by your business to receive service of process, state correspondence, and receiving or sending important business mails. Depending on the state, a registered agent may also be known as:
- Statutory agent,
- Resident agent, or
- Service of process agent.
How to Change Registered Agent in Arizona
For an LLC in Arizona, regardless of whether you choose the DIY method or hire a company, you need to file the certificate of change of registered agent. To change your registered agent mentioned in your Article of Organization, you file a change of registered agent or registered office form with the secretary of state.
However, before you file your application to change your registered agent in Arizona, you must be sure that your registered agent is:
- At least 18 years of age or older.
- Your registered agent should be a resident of the state of Arizona
- A registered agent must be present in the office during regular business hours.
- Your designated registered agent is happily willing to be nominated as your registered agent.
- Since P.O. mailbox can’t be used in most states, a registered agent must have a physical address to deliver documents.
- Your registered agent must be comfortable with their address going to be public in the state record.
Hire a Company to Change Registered Agent in Arizona
Among hundreds of companies providing registered agent services for your LLC in Arizona across all states, we bring the top 2 registered agent services for you here i.e. ZenBusiness and Northwest Registered Agent, which are far better alternatives of LegalZoom.
|Registered Agent Services
The Best Overall Formation Service
- Free registered agent service for a Year with LLC service.
- Anytime access to online documents.
- Expert support 24/7.
MoneyAisle’s Rating ?
Ease of Use
The Top-Notch Customer Care
- Security and data privacy assurance.
- Locally scan your documents.
- Free registered agent with LLC service annually.
MoneyAisle’s Rating ?
Ease of Use
Change Registered Agent DIY in Arizona
You can change your registered agent or the address of the registered office by filing the entity form with the Arizona Secretary of State. You can file the entity form online via email or send it to the Secretary of State through the mail.
Get Written Consent from Signed by New Registered Agent
You must get a written consent form signed by your new registered agent to change your registered agents in Arizona. This can be done by using the Statutory Agent Acceptance form.
While filing the Statement of Change, you need to submit the statutory agent acceptance form at the same time.
Changing a Registered Agent or Registered Office Online
You can change the registered agent or registered office online by following the steps given below.
- To change the registered agent or registered office by entity type, you need to submit the statement of Change online at Arizona Corporation Commission’s eCorp website.
- Log in to the website
- Select“Online Services”
- Click “Change Addresses or Statutory Agent”
- Search for your company and select it
- Complete the form with correct information, including credit card payment information.
- Submit the form after reviewing.
- Ask your new registered agent to sign the statement statutory agent consent form and send it through email.
Important Note: All the information MUST be typed or laser printed on a computer. The hand-written forms will not be accepted.
Changing a Registered Agent or Registered Office via Mail
If filing a change of registered agent entity form by mail is more convenient, you first need to:
Download the Corporation Statement of Change form for corporations. If you operate as a limited liability company (LLC), file the LLC Statement of Change form.
Complete the form with correct information, including credit card payment information.
Ask your new registered agent to sign the Statutory Agent Acceptance form along with a cover sheet.
Send you the complete form at the following address:
Mail or In Person:
Arizona Corporation Commission
Corporations Division – Examination Section
1300 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Fax: (602) 542-4100
Change of Registered Agent Fee in Arizona: $5
The state of Arizona charges you $5 to process your LLC change of registered agent document. There is no filing fee for the corporation form. You can pay this fee by credit card, check, prepaid account, or money order.
The cash payments option is available for in-person filings only. Read the payment page of the change form for complete instructions.
Information Needed to Complete Change of Registered Agent Form
To change your Arizona registered agent, you will need to type in the following information on the change of registered agent or registered office by entity type form:
- Your Arizona entity I.D. number,
- The name of your business entity,
- The name of your current registered agent,
- The name of your new registered agent,
- The address of your new registered agent,
- Signature of the authorized person by your business,
- Signature of your new registered agent consenting to their appointment,
- Credit card information to pay the $25 filing fee if filing online,
- If filing through the mail, tick the box if paying the fee through check or fill the information of charge fees to a prepaid account.
Why Change Registered Agent in Arizona?
In business, nothing is permanent, nor does everything hold for forever. With changing situations and circumstances, you update and revise your decisions. The same goes with the registered agent.
For instance, you may have appointed your attorney or CPA as your registered agent. Now you wish to change your attorney or CPA, so you would also want to change the registered agent. Some of the common reasons to change your registered agent could be:
- Your designated registered agent wants to retire.
- Your current registered agent moves to another state.
- Your present registered agent is too busy to take responsibility for your business correspondence anymore.
- You are not satisfied with the existing registered agent.
- You have nominated yourself as your registered agent but cannot handle this responsibility due to your busy schedule
- Your designated registered is charging a lot, and you want to hire cheaper registered agent services
FAQs on Changing Registered Agent in Arizona
Can I be My Own Registered Agent in Arizona?
All business owners in Arizona can be their own registered agents. So, whether you are running an LLC or operating your business as a corporation, you can designate yourself to accept service of process and official notices for your business.
Can I switch Registered Agents?
You can switch registered agents at any time. When you are ready to make a change, cancel the previous registered agent service and hire a new one. Then file the appropriate paperwork (change of registered agent form) with your state. However, most states require a fee to process your change of registered agent document.
Can I Get Free Registered Agent Services?
Yes, many reputable LLC services such as ZenBusiness, IncFile, etc provide 1-year free registered agent services after incorporating your business with them. For example, ZenBusiness in its basic package of $39 files your article of organization and provides a free registered agent for one year. Whereas as a standalone service, registered agent service cost you $99.
How do I change my registered agent in Arizona?
File a Change of Registered Agent form with the Arizona Secretary of State, and you’ll be able to change your LLC registered agent for $5. For corporations, there is no processing fee for the change of registered agent form.
You just need to fill in the correct information, including the name of the previous registered agent, the name and address of the new registered agent, your business name and I.D. number, etc.
Do you have to have a registered agent for an LLC in Arizona?
Registered agents are a must for any formal business in Arizona. So whether you have an LLC, LLP, or corporation, you need to designate a registered agent for state correspondence. If you’re not sure what a registered agent’s role is and do you need one, read our article on What is a Registered Agent? Be Your Own or Hire a Service to help your company operate smoothly.
What is the responsibility of a registered agent?
Registered agents ensure that critical legal and other documents, such as subpoenas or regulatory notices, are delivered to you without any delay. They help your business remain compliant and up-to-date by delivering all necessary paperwork. They are responsible for accepting official correspondence on behalf of the company, such as tax forms, legal notices, and business mails.
Aisha Noreen is an owner of a small business with more than 9 years of experience in the marketing industry. With the wisdom of an old soul, she always seeks innovation and mind-blowing ROI techniques. Her unique approach helped many small businesses thrive and she can surprise you in many ways as well. Believe it or not, her energy, passion, and creativity are contagious enough to transform your business and take it to another level.