Are you unsatisfied with your current registered agent in Colorado? Or maybe looking for someone else to pass on your registered agent responsibilities? Whatever the case is, you need some paperwork to change your registered agent in Colorado.
Well, paperwork is not always scary. This article will help you correctly change your registered agent without any trouble.
What is a Registered Agent?
A registered agent is a person or entity designated by your business to receive service of process, state correspondence, and receiving or sending important business mails. Depending on the state, a registered agent may also be known as:
- Statutory agent,
- Resident agent, or
- Service of process agent.
How to Change Registered Agent in Colorado
For an LLC in Colorado, regardless of whether you choose the DIY method or hire a company, you need to file the certificate of change of registered agent. To change your registered agent mentioned in your Article of Organization, you file change of registered agent or registered office form with the secretary of state.
However, before you file your application to change your registered agent in Colorado, you must be sure that your registered agent is:
- At least 18 years of age or older.
- Your registered agent should be a resident of the state of Colorado
- A registered agent must be present in the office during regular business hours.
- Your designated registered agent is happily willing to be nominated as your registered agent.
- Since P.O. mailbox can’t be used in most states, a registered agent must have a physical address to deliver documents.
- Your registered agent must be comfortable with their address going to be public in the state record.
Hire a Company to Change Registered Agent in Colorado
Among hundreds of companies providing registered agent services for your LLC in Colorado across all states, we bring the top 2 registered agent services for you here i.e. ZenBusiness and Northwest Registered Agent, which are far better alternatives of LegalZoom.
Change Registered Agent DIY in Colorado
You can change your registered agent or the address of the registered office by filing the Statement of Change with the Colorado Secretary of State online.
Changing a Registered Agent or Registered Office Online
You can change the registered agent or registered office online by following the steps given below.
- Search for the relavent form for statement of change to change the registered agent or registered office at the Colorado Secretary of State’s website.
- Search for your company’s record
- Select your company
- Confirm that you are authorized to make changes to the company’s records.
- Complete the form with correct information, including credit card or other payment information.
- Submit the form.
Important Note: You can also change your registered agent if you are within the Colorado Periodic Report filing period. This is the simplest way to change your registered agent without needing to file additional paperwork.
Change of Registered Agent Fee in Colorado: $10
The state of Colorado charges you $10 to process your change of registered agent document. You can pay this fee by credit card. Read the payment instructions of the Statement of Change form for complete understanding.
Expedite Your Change of Registered Agent Order
If you want the Colorado Secretary of State to expedite the Change of Registered Agent form processing, you need to select the expedite service on the form. Include an additional $100 expediting fee and provide an email address with the form.
Information Needed to Complete Change of Registered Agent Form
To change your Colorado registered agent, you will need to type in the following information on the change of registered agent or registered office by entity type form:
- Your Colorado entity I.D. number,
- The name of your business entity,
- The name of your current registered agent,
- The name of your new registered agent,
- The address of your new registered agent,
- Confirmation that you are of the authorized person to make changes your business information,
- Credit card information to pay the $10 filing fee if filing online,
Why Change Registered Agent in Colorado?
In business, nothing is permanent, nor does everything hold for forever. With changing situations and circumstances, you update and revise your decisions. The same goes with the registered agent.
For instance, you may have appointed your attorney or CPA as your registered agent. Now you wish to change your attorney or CPA, so you would also want to change the registered agent. Some of the common reasons to change your registered agent could be:
- Your designated registered agent wants to retire.
- Your current registered agent moves to another state.
- Your present registered agent is too busy to take responsibility for your business correspondence anymore.
- You are not satisfied with the existing registered agent.
- You have nominated yourself as your registered agent but cannot handle this responsibility due to your busy schedule
- Your designated registered is charging a lot, and you want to hire cheaper registered agent services
FAQs on Changing Registered Agent in Colorado
Can I be My Own Registered Agent in Colorado?
All business owners in Colorado can be their own registered agents. So, whether you are running an LLC or operating your business as a corporation, you can designate yourself to accept service of process and official notices for your business.
Can I switch Registered Agents?
You can switch registered agents at any time. When you are ready to make a change, cancel the previous registered agent service and hire a new one. Then file the appropriate paperwork (change of registered agent form) with your state. However, most states require a fee to process your change of registered agent document.
Can I Get Free Registered Agent Services?
Yes, many reputable LLC services such as ZenBusiness, IncFile, etc provide 1-year free registered agent services after incorporating your business with them. For example, ZenBusiness in its basic package of $39 files your article of organization and provides a free registered agent for one year. Whereas as a standalone service, registered agent service cost you $99.
How do I change my registered agent in Colorado?
File a Change of Registered Agent form with the Colorado Secretary of State, and you’ll be able to change your registered agent for $10. You just need to fill in the correct information, including the name of the previous registered agent, the name and address of the new registered agent, your business name and I.D. number, etc.
Do you have to have a registered agent for an LLC in Colorado?
Registered agents are a must for any formal business in Colorado. So whether you have an LLC, LLP, or corporation, you need to designate a registered agent for state correspondence. If you’re not sure what a registered agent’s role is and do you need one, read our article on What is a Registered Agent? Be Your Own or Hire a Service to help your company operate smoothly.
What is the responsibility of a registered agent?
Registered agents ensure that critical legal and other documents, such as subpoenas or regulatory notices, are delivered to you without any delay. They help your business remain compliant and up-to-date by delivering all necessary paperwork. They are responsible for accepting official correspondence on behalf of the company, such as tax forms, legal notices, and business mails.
Aisha Noreen is an owner of a small business with more than 9 years of experience in the marketing industry. With the wisdom of an old soul, she always seeks innovation and mind-blowing ROI techniques. Her unique approach helped many small businesses thrive and she can surprise you in many ways as well. Believe it or not, her energy, passion, and creativity are contagious enough to transform your business and take it to another level.